The Art of Caramel and Peanut Brittle recipe

So, thinking about Christmas yet? Nope, well I sorta am, I wanted to get an idea of food gifts that I could give out during the Christmas season, I needed some where to start. Seriously if I had know how easy and cheap it was to make peanut brittle, I would never have bought Peanut Brittle! Keep reading for the exclusive recipe from craftsy on Peanut Brittle.

 It is said by America's test kitchen that you only need like 20 really good dishes to be called a good cook, I totally agree. With that thought in mind I think Caramel is a hard thing to accomplish well every time. I mean why does it crystallize, or burn so easy when I followed the recipe. Right? Right! So when I saw this class on Craftsy my eyes got really big with excitement and and I thought I needed to know how Caramel works.

I was pleasantly surprised by the content of this class! it's well thought out as most craftsy classes are, There is some small history lessons to help with what caramel is, which helped with making caramel.

This class will save me money in the long run, I always seem to want to have some peanut brittle during the Christmas season, and for about $2.00 a batch I can make peanut brittle to my little hearts content, or make it and give it out, smiling that you really only spent $2.00 on the gift, that could retail up to $15.00 (which btw is the cost of the class when it goes on sale!) I also posted about the Caramel candies, you can find my blog post here along with the recipe




One of the main reason's why I wanted this class was to figure out how to make caramel sauce, you know the dip used for apples, and a filling for chocolates, or bon bons. I finally have a perfect recipe for both with the knowledge to know just exactly what to do. (I learn best from watching then doing.)



Once you got the caramel sauce mastered, then it's onto cupcakes and those were so good! I had to pack them up for my husband's PTO meeting tonight, so I didn't eat them all up... and yes that is praline/peanut brittle on the top of the cupcake!



Way to Go Craftsy and Carole Bloom, I am a caramel know it all now! With the hopes of making a dry caramel desert in the future!

Carole Bloom's Peanut Brittle Recipe from Craftsy  
(Ingredients add up to $2.00, (peanuts and Sugar.))
Yield: 12/3 pounds (750 g) 

Ingredients
2 cups (400 g) granulated sugar
½ cup (120 ml) water
¼ teaspoon cream of tartar
2 cups (300 g) skinless roasted salted peanuts

Method
1. Line a baking sheet with a silicone non-stick liner.

2. Place the sugar, water, and cream of tartar in a 3-quart (2.8-l) heavyduty saucepan over medium-high heat. As the mixture cooks, run a damp pastry brush around the edges of the pan to push any stray sugar crystals back into the mixture. Do this two times.

3. The mixture will bubble around the edges first and then the bubbles will move to the center. Cook the mixture until it begins to turn color, about 7 minutes. If the mixture begins to color in one place, turn the pan and swirl it to help distribute the color evenly. Do not stir, which will cause the mixture to crystallize.

4. Once the mixture is evenly amber colored, immediately stir in the peanuts and completely coat them with the caramel.

5. Remove the pan from the heat and turn the mixture onto the lined pan. Using a silicone spatula, very quickly spread the mixture thinly. Leave the brittle to cool completely.

6. Lift the brittle from the liner and break into pieces by hand.

7. Store the brittle between layers of waxed paper in a tightly covered container at room temperature for up to 1 week. Variations Note: Any single type of nut or mixed nuts can be used, as well as any dried fruit.

If the nuts or fruit are large, chop them coarsely. Total volume of add-ins should be 2 cups.
For Almond-Date Brittle: Dates (coarsely chopped or cut with scissors) + toasted whole almonds.
For Peanut-Raisin Brittle: Salted or unsalted skinless roasted peanuts + raisins (your choice of color). For Pumpkin Seed-Apricot Brittle: Shelled toasted pumpkin seeds + chopped apricots.



2 comments:

  1. Did you get permission to give away this recipe? I have bought some Craftsy classes but never post a recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for your inquiry, I did infact get permission to give this recipe away, I went through their affiliate program manager, and she was happy to give me permission. I really love how professional Craftsy is. Happy creating! The peanut brittle is fool proof!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...