Yep that started my love affair with a simple box of cake mix. Then I found out that wow, you can cook a cake in the microwave in like 13 minutes, awesome right?
one of my favorite cakes is a pampered chef recipe,
Chocolate Strawberry Velvet Cake
- 1/4 cup plus 1 tablespoon vegetable oil, divided
- 1/2 cup milk chocolate morsels
- 1 package (18.25 oz) devil’s food cake mix
- 3 eggs
- 3/4 cup water
- 1 jar (12 oz) seedless strawberry jam, divided
Glaze and Garnish
- 1/3 cup melted vanilla ice cream
- 1 cup milk chocolate morsels
- 1 quart fresh strawberries, divided
- Additional ice cream (optional)
1. Brush Stoneware Fluted Pan with 1 tbsp of the oil using Chef’s Silicone Basting Brush. For cake, combine chocolate morsels and oil in Small Batter Bowl. Microwave on HIGH 30-60 seconds or until melted and smooth, whisking after 30 seconds. In Stainless (4-qt.) Mixing Bowl, combine cake mix, eggs, water, ½ cup of the jam and chocolate mixture; whisk until well blended. Pour batter into pan.
2. Microwave cake on HIGH 9-12 minutes or until wooden pick inserted near center comes out clean. Remove cake from microwave. Wipe rim of pan clean using paper towel, if necessary. Center Simple Additions Large Round Platter over pan and carefully invert. Without removing pan, let stand 10 minutes. Remove pan.
3. For glaze, combine ice cream and chocolate morsels in Small Micro-Cooker. Microwave on HIGH 20-60 seconds, stirring after each 20-second interval, until melted and smooth.
4. To finish cake, place remaining jam into Prep Bowl and microwave on HIGH 30 seconds or until melted; brush evenly over cake. Holding by stems, dip 16 of the strawberries into glaze; arrange around bottom edge of cake. Drizzle top of cake with remaining glaze. Slice remaining strawberries using Egg Slicer Plus; place into center well of cake. Serve with additional ice cream, if desired.
Cook’s Tips: For best results, bake this cake in a 1000-watt microwave with a built-in turntable. This cake can be baked in a conventional oven, if desired. Bake at 350˚F for 45-50 minutes. Proceed as recipe
Yield: 16 servings
My notes: you don't need a stone ware pan, use a 13x9 Pyrex pan or a microwave safe pan, I don't do the glaze on the strawberries, although it is yummier that way!