Here's what you need:
- 1/2 cup butter
- 2 cups granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1/4 cup cocoa powder (Note: not hot chocolate powder, but the unsweetened cocoa powder)
- 1/2 cup peanut butter
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 3 cups quick-cooking oats
Here's what to do:
1. Put butter, sugar, milk and cocoa powder in a large sauce pan. Bring ingredients to a rolling boil while stirring continuously. Boil for one minute and remove from heat.
When my daughter saw the whole stick of butter and 2 cups of sugar
being added in this step she commented, "This isn't really a healthy recipe is it, Mom?"
(No, sweetheart, but sometimes mommies
like a yummy chocolate-y treat to make it through a rough day!)
2. Stir in peanut butter and vanilla and mix until blended. Add quick oats and stir until combined.
3. Line a baking sheet with wax paper. Drop mixture by tablespoon-full onto the waxed paper. The cookies will harden as they cool. (I often pop them into the fridge for a bit to speed up this process)